I'm only one man, there's only so many people I can piss off in one day. Although, thanks to the internet, my production has gone up nicely.

Sunday, March 15, 2009

Take me out to the ballgame....


Yes, it is almost spring break and the 2009 baseball tryouts are complete. I was at the high school from 11:30 this morning, until 6:00pm. Then I drafted my team from 7pm until 8:30. I had 4 returning players from last year. I kept two, sent one back down to transitional, and let one go up a level. Soooo, I have Tyler, then my assistant coaches kid, a returning catcher which is a girl, and one overconfident dad, er prospective pitcher.
I evaluated only third graders today expecting all the 4th graders to be taken, Lo and behold there were multiple 3rd graders taken at the higher level, leaving 15 extra 4th graders to play down a level. I picked my kids, four, 4th graders without knowing anything about them.
Quite honestly, next year I will step down as head coach, as Tyler has the ability to play with the top kids of his age level. There are 12 players at the top level, and Tyler is at about 6 or 7. Me being a head coach is only holding him back as he was as good or better than a kid I let go to the next level tonight.

Travis did well with his tryouts and I expect he will get the same coach he had last year, which is a good thing.

At this point we are kissing summer goodbye, until we get over halfway through our season. If we win half our games we are in the playoffs starting the second week of July. Which means our camping reservations are for not. We wish well for the kids, but want some summertime camping relief.

Season Updates will be coming after the first week in May

No comments: