I'm only one man, there's only so many people I can piss off in one day. Although, thanks to the internet, my production has gone up nicely.

Monday, August 25, 2008

Detroit Lake Camping

Actually I don't think it was really camping, more like floating without a boat.
We endured three days of 100* weather Aug. 14, 15, and 16th at home. Then on Aug 17th we loaded the truck and headed down to Detroit lake. Forecast was for a "Little Rain". We set up camp with temps in the 80's with humidity feeling like it was approaching 80%. We had a late dinner and watched the lightning rolling in the eastern sky. When we awoke monday morning it was still stormy to the east, but it was headed our way. We soon experienced a lightning and thunderstorm right on the lake. Needless to say it was both fascinating and scary, with lightning strikes all around us. Eventually the storm broke and we managed to go out on our neighbors boat. All of the kids were pulled around on their new water tube. Trudy took a ride as did Dawn our neighbor. Finally it was my turn. I obviously couldn't fit inside it so I laid acroos the top. Darby did his best to try to dump me, and finally it was my own doing. I managed to get the tube to ride on the edge of the wake, I leaned in the wrong direction and went flipping across the water. Lots of fun and I know the kids can't wait to do it again.

For the remainder of monday, and all of tuesday it stayed pretty windy. Wednesday morning we woke up to a soaker. The rain was never really hard, just that constant miserable Oregon rain. Our campsite was muddy and we resorted to digging small trenches to send the water away from where we were hiding under a 10 X 10 pop up. I added a small tarp tied from the pop up to a tree so we could have enough space to sit around the fire. Which we did for about 18 hours.

At one point in the day I told the kids I would go swimming in the next 36 minutes. What they didn't know was that I extended the 36 minutes every time they mentioned it. I finally went, Trudy took pictures, but it will cost a lot of money to get those published. I'll be on the exercycle tomorrow.
We tore down camp on thurs morning, still raining, with a lot of water in our tent, and headed home.

That will be the LAST Oregon vacation in August.




















No comments: